Wednesday, February 3, 2010

BUCKLE DOWN: PASTA FAGIOLI

Pate, my co-photographer, decided to take the busiest month off of work, which I 100% totally respect. He's in Singapore and promised to bring me back some authentic recipes from his, "Mum." In the meantime, I am doing double duty holding down the photo fort. But a girl's got to eat, and Midtown lunch is gross, so with a little foresight I made a giant vat of Pasta Fagioli, which is Pasta with Beans. It very hearty, surprisingly not farty, perfect for winter and gives me plenty of energy to do what I do all day, just "click a button."

Think ahead and soak your beans. Pasta Fagioli is typically made with red beans, but I used both red and white. Plenty of veggies and nice herbs, tomato sauce and of course ditalini, my favorite type of pasta because its perfect for mouth shoveling, make this dish one I can eat literally every day of the week.

Pasta Fagioli
About 1 1/2 C. dried beans or 1-2 Cans (red and/or white)
1 can tomato sauce
1 onion, chopped
2-3 cloves of garlic, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 celery stalks, sliced
1 potato, cubed
herbs* dried or fresh (rosemary, thyme, oregano, bay leaf)
red chili flakes
1-2 C vegetable broth
about 1/2-3/4 lb. ditalini pasta

Soak beans for 8 hours. Rinse off soaking water. Boil beans for another 45 minutes until soft but not mushy.

When beans are almost done boiling. Sautee onions, garlic, chili flakes and dried herbs in olive oil. Add carrot and celery and sautee until soft. Season with salt and pepper. Add the beans with their boiling water. Add vegetable broth and tomato sauce. Bring everything to a boil, then simmer. Add potatoes after 15 minutes, boil until soft. Add pasta with more salt until cooked. Season to taste. Add some extra virgin olive oil and any fresh herbs at the end. Enjoy all week!

2 comments:

Federica Simoni said...

buonissima!! la faccio anch'io!! complimenti!!

Map of Hawaii said...

that plate looks identical to my mom & nonna's...yum!