Sunday, May 30, 2010

SICILIAN SUNDAY DINNERS: FATHER DAUGHTER DINNER


     I have been seeing a lot of guys on the subway lately with bouquets in their fidgety hands, anxiously waiting to see their girlfriends, and while I want to be the person who doesn't care about fussy things like flowers and little gifts, I have to be honest, I give these guys subtle nods of approval to say, "you did good, dude."
    I know its sappy, but getting flowers does make you feel loved and cared for. Its like, "awwwwwweee! how sweeeeet!" Its so easy to instantly turn me into a mush.
    That is how I felt when I came home afterwork to find a gorgeous window basket filled with an assortment of herbs left at my door by Rocco, my dad. He went all over Queens to different stores to get the exact herb mix to make me my beautiful gift. He planted: oregano, rosemary, basil, and parsley. The occasion: no occasion, just because he is my dad and he loves me. Thanks Dad, I love you!
     Rocco is a really amazing cook, and for our Father Daughter Dinner he came over and cooked me a delicious plate of Ravioli in a Creamy Artichoke, Asparagus and Sweet Pea Sauce with Pancetta. It was so delicious. He sauteed pancetta and shallots, then added the asparagus, peas and artichokes, some cream, reduced it, poured it over cheese filled ravioli and finished it with shaved pecorino romano.
     He has been cooking for me all my life and nothing tastes like his food. I think its because he puts a generous amount of Sicilian craziness in it. Its pure comfort for me. And he makes it look so easy. His motto is: simple and fresh quality ingredients. And of course, "OLIVE OIL!" He has a store of olive oil in the basement (like 20 liters) for the apocalypse. Cheers! ... until 2012!

Happy Memorial Day!

1 comment:

Rocco Galatioto said...

Dearest Jen, your post moved me to tears. Our mutual love is very special. Knowing how much you love to cook, making that pot of herbs was a natural thing for me to give you. Your kind words are appreciated. You are my favorite person in the entire world.
Love
YD