Thursday, January 14, 2010

WINTER GASTRONOMY SWAP - I ended up being "the douche"

So the swap happened. The Gregarious Homebody, the swap host, warned us: "do not be a douches." Meaning: don't say you are going to participate then leave your swap partner high and dry. I really wasn't planning on it. I started gathering local goodies from the Greenpoint Food Market, then a few things around town, and lastly planned on some homemade goods. I emailed my partner my address and asked for hers. I thought I was following the rules. Then about a week before the deadline, I was accused of being "the douche." I had missed a follow-up email from my partner, she freaked and thought I had bailed. In the end, we kissed and made up and in the holiday spirit we moved forward with the swap. My douche badge was revoked.
I have to admit it was difficult to figure out what to get, especially in NY for $25. I wanted to give some variety, but all of my ideas sent me over the limit. Like the $10 chocolate bar from Pierre Marcolini. My partner also expressed her love of the Snoopy character and her extensive collection. I love Snoopy but I hate collections so I figured I'd do her a favor and not add to it. Sorry, if you're disappointed, but its for your own good.
In the end I am happy with my picks and what I made. And what really brought it all together was the wrapping. Some brown paper bags, tissue paper, ribbon, and decimating the Sunday NY Times for cut-out phrases and cute graphics, and I am very proud of my wrapping job.
What I gave:
FIKA Chocolate Covered Hazlenuts
Chocolate Almond Toffee from Bean and Apple from GFM
Quinoa Bark from Keen-wah: a quinoa company from GFM
Bread and Butter Chocolate Bar
Homemade Spiced Candied Pecans
Homemade Ginger Molasses Cookies
Homemade Cherry Brandy Holiday Cake from GFM

Stay tuned for what I got...

2 comments:

Megan said...

nicely done! love the presentation....

adozeneggs said...

Love the wrapping!
Sounds like a terrific package!!
I may be the bigger douche. Although I've been in constant contact with my partner, I was very late in shipping. Four whole days late. So late, that her package arrived before I even shipped mine.
Oh well, can't wait to see what you get from Chicago!!