Sunday, May 23, 2010

SICILIAN SUNDAY DINNERS: SAUSAGE PARTY!

    I will do my best to avoid making shamelessly perverted puns in the post. We literally had a sausage party to celebrate Julie's sudden return to the world of meat eating. Hear that vegetarians? We got one back! And this time it wasn't with bacon.     
I love meat, but when it comes to cooking, meat is definitely not my specialty. I leans toward making vegetables, beans, pasta, etc. So when Julie looked at me with those big brown eyes and said, "Feed me meat, bitch!" I turned to the meat I know best: SAUSAGE! 
      Growing up, we were all about the spiral sausage stuffed with the likes of parmesan and fennel. Even the hot dog, a sausage in its own right, is really one of the most delicious summer treats ever.   
  I finally visited the Meat Hook, a carnivore mecca. Aside from the amazing butcher counter, you can get lost in there. They sell anything you need to bake or cook or ferment or stuff anything. I was getting dizzy looking at all the great stuff. Focus: sausage.
 I decided to get a little bit of everything: Lamb Rosemary, Lamb Merguez, Rabbit, Chorizo and Parmesan and Parsley. Julie didn't have a grill so we broiled them and they turned out great.
     
 I think Julie was a little scared of sausage platter I presented to her. To accompany the sausage, we had a gigantic cheese plate, which is a Julie specialty, really great bread that we smothered in Ramp Butter, which I got at the Greenpoint Food Market earlier that day, olives and one of the most fantastic salads ever.
 
The dressing was the secret weapon: mashed onions, mayo, avocado, olive oil, tomatoes, lemon juice, olives, salt and pepper, and soy sauce. It blew my mind.
     The winner of the sausage contest was by far the rabbit sausage, the flavor was phenomenal and it was so nice and juicy. We also liked the chorizo a lot. It was nice and spicy. And lamb sausage is always really good.

     Julie was such a good little convert and tried each and every sausage, even the pork ones which she was on the fence about. I think she will keep playing on the meat team.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Best sausage-fest I have ever attended! (or rather the first...) - so historical in its own right!
Were the bum shots too much in conjunction with the mounds of sausage?
xxxx

Anonymous said...

Best sausage-fest I have ever attended! (or rather the first...) - so historical in its own right!
Were the bum shots too much in conjunction with the mounds of sausage?
xxxx

Anonymous said...

The salad expert also wanted me to remind you- the most essential ingredient was missing! um... MAYO?? (the staple of all that is delicious) thanks!

Jennifer Galatioto said...

noted.