Sunday, August 9, 2009

SHAKERTOWN ZUCCHINI

      Going through Grandma Isabelle's recipe tin I found a recipe called Shakertown Zucchini. As Mommy explained, Grandpa never liked to celebrate his birthday, so when it came along every year he took off with Grandma to a place called Shakertown, which was a truckstop halfway between Long Island where they lived and Waynesburg, PA, where Grandma's family lived. And in a roadside motel they would wait out Grandpa's birthday. I can only assume this is where Grandma discovered Shakertown Zucchini, but Mommy couldn't verify. By the time I was ready to make Shakertown Zucchini, I misplaced the recipe, so I had to go on memory. Either way stuffing delicious zucchini with cheese and bread crumbs is a sure thing. What drew me to this recipe was that it called for Ritz Crackers. Mmm. 

Shakertown Zucchini
Cut a 2 regular zucchini in half and boil for a few minutes. Remove the zucchini and scoop out the insides. Sautee the zucchini guts with a half of a chopped onion. Remove and cool and mix the zucchini guts with 2 beaten eggs, about 1 cup of crushed Ritz crackers, olive oil, grated cheese, salt and pepper. Season the inside of the zucchini with olive oil, salt and pepper. Stuff the zucchini halves and then top with more grated cheese. Bake for 20-30 minutes at 350 degrees. 

Optional: Add some garlic and substitute the Ritz crackers with bread crumbs.

1 comment:

Marta said...

I love my nonna's recipe tin, it's so precious to me! It's like a treasure chest!
This looks delicious, perfectly light and summery!