Friday, April 16, 2010

NY TIMES SOUTHWEST SWEET POTATO SALAD


     Marcy makes Grandpa's NY Times Stew, an unbelievable beef stew, the recipe her dad cut out of the NY Times probably before I was born. I have to keep up with the Wednesday food section; they have such great recipes in there that you want to make over and over.
     Markus reads the times and is a recipe maven, most likely because he is a follow the rules type of person, only crossing the street when the little walk man is blinking. I, who resist all rules am the the bozo who runs across Park Ave. when the red hand warns me to stop only to wait in the lobby for the elevator. We always argue about following recipes. I obviously never do and sometimes it pays off but other times its just a complete disaster. Whenever Markus follows a recipe, it pretty much works out 100% of the time. 
     Like with this NY Times South West Sweet Potato Salad recipe, which funny enough doesn't give exact measures, and when we get sweet potatoes in our share I ask him to make it. He makes it perfectly even though I think he is secretly cursing the recipe. Its peeled and roasted sweet potatoes, black beans, red onion, red peppers, and cilantro dressed with a puree of olive oil, garlic, lime juice and jalapeno. So simple, sweet and nice and spicy from the jalapeno and that fresh garlic kick. I know it will become a staple recipe like Grandpa's NY Times Stew.  

2 comments:

Rocco Galatioto said...

Do not take recipes from this once proud paper that has become a pathetic self hating liberal rag that appeals to all the brain dead Manhattanites. I do not trust them even with the date of publication.

Markus said...

your wish has been granted:

http://online.wsj.com/public/page/new-york-main.html

new metro section in WSJ