Sunday, July 12, 2009

ZUCCHINI AND MORE ZUCCHINI

     I have been eating a lot of zucchini, and its just the start of the season, so I need to start getting creative. My go to is either Zucchini Stew or Pasta with Zucchini. Yesterday, I had the most unbelievable Zucchini Puree from a little cafe in the West Village which I am going to try to recreate. It was outrageous. Here, I made a combination Rocco Nonna Zucchini Pasta. 
    Rocco will usually slice the zucchini really thin, then fry it and serve it over pasta in a spicy garlic and oil sauce. Its superb. 
    Nonna simply stews the zucchini with garlic for a lighter pasta dish. So I took the best of both worlds. 
     I made the stew as the base of the sauce, then combined it with a garlic sauteed in oil and peperoncino. The I topped it with some fried zucchini slices and ended up with a remarkably delicious zucchini pasta that is really nice topped with fresh grated romano cheese. It seems like more steps but in the end it was easier because frying 50 zucchini slices is time consuming. So while the stew is going you just fry up say 1/4 of the zucchini in slices and you still get that nice friedness with less frying toil.

3 comments:

Rocco Galatioto said...

Great idea. Ho fame.

Marta said...

Good call to combine the best of both recipes!
I love stuffing my zucchs!
You're right, one must get creative because zucchini are almost hard to keep up with during their season, if you blink, you may find yourself burried in zucchini... oh yumm, I would devour my way out!

DonnaFran said...

this is super delicious!