Saturday, October 3, 2009

SCALLOPS OVER CURRIED BUTTERNUT SQUASH


    Having my dear Clarina over for dinner is always special. Always. She is a seafood lover so I decided to make these delicious fresh scallops I picked up at the Farmer's Market. I seasoned them with some salt and pepper and olive oil and grilled them on a hot cast iron skillet. Then I served them on a Puree of Curried Butternut Squash.
    To make the butternut squash puree, cut the squash in half, season it with salt and pepper and coat it with plenty of olive oil and butter and roast it in the oven on 375 until it was soft. It takes usually 45 min to 1 hour. After it cools a bit, scoop it out and sauteed it in butter with shallots, garlic, curry powder, cayenne pepper, fresh ginger, nutmeg and cinnamon. If you like it sweet you can add some brown sugar. Add enough water to create a paste consistency or some vegetable broth. Simmer for 20 minutes then blend in a blender or with a hand mixer. 
    One squash made a surprisingly large amount of puree with which I added water to over low heat to make Butternut Squash Soup for lunch.

No comments: