Sunday, September 27, 2009

Brooklyn Edible Social Club: Part 1


     I write Part 1 because I hope there will be a Part 2, 3, 4...to infinity. This was truly an outstanding dining experience, through and through. I have not one complaint about anything and I am part Sicilian, complaining is a badge of honor, so that means a lot. My girl who writes the Underground Dining blog recommended the Brooklyn Edible Social Club, saying, " if you are going to try one Supper Club, this is the one to try." Once I saw the menu I was sold.

September 26th Menu

Amuse Bouche


Heirloom Tomato & Peach Salad
Sweet Basil, Peppermint, Chevre Cheese, Sherry Vinaigrette

Sweet Corn Veloute 
Hooligan Cheese, Pumpernickel Croutons, Wildflower Honey


Smoked Spanish Mackerel
Chickpea-Smoked Bacon-Tuscan Kale Casoulette, Aromatic Rice,
Fire-Roasted Red Pepper Vinaigrette


Seared Moulard Duck Magret
Roasted Squash Tartine, Purslane Salad, Chipotle-Maple Jus

Matzuma Plum Pie
Ginger-Infused Hot Chocolate

Mignardises (One Girl Cookies, NY)
Coffee, Tea

    How can anyone pass up that menu? I came ready to roll up my sleeves, elbows on the table and get down.    
    A few other supper clubs I have been to really lack the warm welcome, which is such a crucial tone setter since a lot of people fly solo to these dinners. The moment I entered the chef greeted me so cordially. "My home is your home," he said. You can't get that treatment in any restaurant. And before I had time to take my coat off I had a delicious cocktail of apple cider spiked with rye whiskey and lemon in my hand and the makings of an excellent evening before me.
    It was the perfect amount of guests for a dinner party: about 12.Enough so it felt full but everyone got to chatting with everyone. It was a really fun and friendly crowd. 
   After I'd emailed with Andres, he checked out my website and saw this portrait I took of this old lady in Union and it titled, "Self-Portrait" so he naturally thought that I was the old lady. I hope he wasn't too disappointed!  
    Let's talk about the food. Chef Andres personally served each plate and took the time to  emphatically explain each dish in his charming Brazilian accent. I had no idea what Amuse Bouche was when I first read the menu. After looking it up on Wiki its french for mouth amuser. Sexy. A Mackeral Tartar with Meyer Lemon. It was really a refreshing way to get my palate ready for the many course to come. 
   Next we had the Heirloom Tomato and Peach salad. That was a fresh flavor explosion. The basil and the mint were so great together and the cheese cut the sweetness of the dish perfectly. I am glad there was a heap of it. I practically licked my plate clean. 
   The next dish, a Sweet Corn Veloute, was so phenomenal that its difficult to write about without stopping to imagine the way it tasted in my mouth again. My lovely date, the esteemed Creme Fatale Bakestress, Ms. Melissa said, and I quote, "sex wishes it was this good." For real. Imagine: blue cheese plus a piece of honey comb plus crunchy croutons swimming in a warm sweet creamy pool of corn amazingness. Aaaaaaaah!!!! I need to take a cold shower. And how sweet is Andres, he specially cooked Melissa her own entirely vegetarian meal. 
   And it gets better. How? I stopped asking and just kept savoring. We were then served the fish. Mackeral over chick peas, bacon, kale and this really fragrant perfectly cooked rice. Gone in like thirty seconds. I felt like my dog and my sound effects were slightly inappropriate but I could not help myself. The fish was so fresh and cooked perfectly. So good.
   Onto the last dish before desserts, plural. Yes, plural. Duck. Sweet rare duck with a maple sauce on top and a baby squash tart on the side. The duck melted in my mouth. I had to sit back for a minute to rest from how good it all was. Everything was so amazing I felt delusional. It was like an exotic food dream, but it was for real. Okay, now finish that glorious duck. This was seriously one of the best meals I have ever had. And there was still desserts!
   First Andres served a ginger hot chocolate shot with a nice and tart plum pie. The hot chocolate was outstanding and should only be served in shot form, especially when its as creamy and as rich as can be. And I really enjoyed the pie, its sweet and sourness was a nice way to finish things off.
   Then things got a little out of hand. A gigantic tray of donuts was put on the table, with really great Italian coffee, done in the Italian stove top percolator, the only way in my opinion to make coffee. I made the coffee so sweet but so good and Melissa and I made a coffee dunk party out of it. I just felt so good at the end of the meal. Completely satisfied and still thinking about all the flavors that had romanced my palate. 
   This Supper Club is real deal. Don't be fooled by impostors. Go! Not only was the food outstanding but Andres is a true culinary artist; he adores food and you can literally taste his passion in every bite you take. 

4 comments:

Rocco Galatioto said...

Sounds very appetizing, although it's a little too French for a Sicilian panza.

www.undergrounddining.blogspot.com said...

Whew. Glad you liked it. :)

Jennifer Galatioto said...

Please girl. You know I am sickeningly overly enthusiastic! Thanks for telling me about it.

Chubby Chinese Girl said...

You too Jen!... I sure hope so, best thing is, next time I see you, there will be plenty good food for sure! =)