Saturday, September 12, 2009

Nonna's feeding tactics trait

    Lately I have noticed myself making a concerted effort to hold back on my force feeding tactics. I am the type of person who hates feeling like I am making someone do something they don't want to do, but when I ask, "Would you like a peach?" and the answer is "No," I can't help but want to come back with, "Are you sure?" In my mind I can't understand how someone could say no to a precious peach, and its my DNA (that Sicilian strand) that compels me to not take no for an answer. It takes everything I have to stop myself. No means no, thought and I can't be a food pusher.
     While I was at Nonna's the other day I figured out where I get it from.
     "You hungry Jane (my name is Jen)? You want something to eat?"
     "No thanks, Nonna. I just ate."
     "Jane, you sure?"
     "I'm okay."
     There she pauses. She is not satisfied with my responses. By the furrow in her brow I can tell she is thinking, planning her next move. She figures it out; her faces brightens up. She thinks she's slick.
     "Jane, you wanna just one meatball?"
      One meatball! She knows once you have one the next step is an entire bowl of pasta. And in Nonna's mind there is no turning down meatballs, plus just one cannot hurt. 
     "I'm fine, Nonna."
     "Jane, are you okay?"
     Its trip to the hospital worthy to turn down a meatball. That old Sicilian woman is just too much! I know where I get it from. I am going to really try hard not to be a food nagger. Its so hard though! One meatball!

2 comments:

Rocco Galatioto said...

Come on. one little meat ball; it can't hurt.

Coffee and Vanilla said...

I love this post! :)

Just linked to you in Beautiful Blogs, sorry for delay, noticed the link only today.

Enjoy your day, Margot