Friday, February 26, 2010

mayo the impossible!



      Don't tell me I can't do something! That is the perfect fuel that drives me to do whatever is deemed impossible. When I made my Vietnamese Cauliflower Sandwich Salad, I tried to make my own Roasted Garlic Chipotle Mayo. That was a deee - saster! I really didn't follow the directions. And while I dreamed of using my food processor, the blade was just too high to cream the egg.
"Its impossible! You cannot make homemade mayonnaise!" These words seared my ego. "Yes - I - Can!"
        It was even suggested that there is some type of mayo conspiracy that the egg companies are responsible for that causes relentless dumb dumbs like me to throw away good egg after egg in pursuit of mayo that will never happen.
         I can't believe it. We live in a time of hope! This time I followed a recipe that called for using a hand mixer. I can do that. I didn't really follow the recipe at all. I took a look at the basic ingredients that all mayos seem to call for then kind of just threw everything together. The key though is to slowly drizzle the oil into the egg against the side of the bowl so it gradually gets incorporated. Combined with some patience and steel brained pride and you can have delicious mayonnaise, too!
I used it to make Curried Deviled Eggs!!!

Mayo the Impossible!
2 egg yokes
1 egg white
salt
pepper
1/2 tsp dried mustard
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp cayenne
3-4 tsp lemon juice or vinegar
1-2 tsp hot water
1 C. canola oil

With a hand mixer beat the egg yoke until creamy with salt, pepper, mustard, sugar and cayenne. Adding the lemon juice and hot water each tsp at a time. Taste as you go. Add the egg yoke here and beat a little more. Slowly add the oil, drizzling the oil against the side of the bowl. You are done when it looks like mayo, white and fluffy.

Curried Deviled Eggs
2-3 Boiled Eggs, Peeled, Halved and Yokes removed
Mayonnaise
Salt
Pepper
Dried Mustard
Curry Powder
Dash of Vinegar
Paprika

These are the basic ingredients. You need to taste as you go. Start with the egg yokes. Mix with some mayo until you get a creamy consistency. Add spices 1/8 tsp at a time and just a dash of vinegar. Keep tasting and adjusting until you get the right flavor. Fill the egg halves with the egg yoke mayo mix and sprinkle with paprika.

3 comments:

Rocco Galatioto said...

TOTALLY DISGUSTING. EGGS, MAYO...NEVER!

Javelina Bomb said...

It "seared" your ego? It sounds more like your ego was sautéed. Or maybe broiled.

Chef Fresco said...

One can never go wrong with a deviled egg... a true southern delicacy all you need it a dash of relish.