Monday, June 22, 2009

CALL ME A BROCCOLINA

    I LOVE BROCCOLI! That being said, if I couldn't get the name Morta Di Fame for my blog, my next choice would be Broccolina. That's the nickname Nonna used to call me because all I ever wanted in life as a child was bowl of pasta with broccoli. Good thing its so easy to make. This is Nonna's version and I used a fresh local broccoli and garlic from the Union Square Farmer's Market.
    The night I made this, I actually cut out the garlic, which is a grave offense, however I was attending my 10 Year High School Reunion that night and didn't want my classmates to remember me in the way of garlic breath. There are enough embarrassing high school memories, but mostly really awesome ones, and I wanted to keep it that way. 
    More on my high school friends. I attended Townsend HS at Queens College in Flushing, NY, a specialized school for Liberal Arts and I can only say that I am so extremely proud of calling myself a THHS alumnus. I am so excited but not surprised at how well everyone is doing because I went to school with such bright people who fulfilled their potential to be where they are right now doing really inspiring things. (I hope my grammar and latin is correct because if it isn't I know someone from high school will be correcting it.)

PASTA WITH BROCCOLI
1 head of broccoli cleaned and trimmed into bite size pieces
2 cloves of garlic
1/2 lb. spaghetti
extra virgin olive oil
peperoncino
salt and pepper

In a medium size pot bring salted water to a boil. Add the broccoli and boil for about 5 minutes until its almost soft, then add you spaghetti. Cook until the pasta is al dente, then drain. Put the pasta with broccoli back into the pot and add the garlic, plenty of extra virgin olive oil, peperoncino, salt and plenty of fresh ground black pepper. The garlic will steam very nicely in the hot mixture. 

5 comments:

Marta said...

Aw "Broccolina" is the cutest nickname EVER!!!!! I like this quick and simple pasat just the way nonna used to make it! Well, I mean your nonna, since mine wasn't ever much of a cook and it was my nonno the one in charge of passing down great recipes. My nonna introduced me to nutella, that's as much as she did for my culinary upbringing!
My sister is a huge broccoli girl as well. So I always made pasta al formaggino for her growing up, but threw in a head of broccoli while the pasta cooked, and then with the cheeses and the stirring it got so creamy and green! Lovely! even to this day, every time we get toegther she immediately asks for that pasta.

Jennifer Galatioto said...

When I was in Genova visiting family, my aunt made a similar pasta with broccoli and cheese. It was outstanding. So creamy and broccoli-ish and the broccoli breaks down into the cream. MMMMM! Thanks for reminding me. You are a good sister! Thanks for commenting Marta!

Rocco Galatioto said...

Bellezza
In sicilian, Nonna probably called you na brucculara.
All the best
YD

Jennifer Galatioto said...

Maybe? What does that mean?

joe@italyville said...

with an Italian nonna I doubt you were ever "Morta di Fame" but I love both names for a blog! glad I found you.