Thursday, June 4, 2009

GARLIC BREATH SOLUTION?

   Do you get garlic breath? I sure do, especially with raw garlic. Have you noticed that little stem in the middle of the garlic clove? Nonna told me that if you remove the stem before cooking you don't get garlic breath. Has anyone ever heard this? I asked Rocco and he explained the stems means the garlic has reached its growing phase and the stem is bitter but removing it won't take away garlic breath, cooking the garlic will. Now that I started removing it, and proceeding to eat entire cloves of cooked garlic, I don't seem to have garlic breath that I am aware of. Mike? I can't hang with raw garlic on its own anyway (I tried to eat a whole raw clove once and puked) and whenever its in salsa raw, while irresistibly delicious, it definitely causes breath havoc. I will try to remove the little stem with raw garlic in salsa or guacamole and compare.
   Also, I am severely susceptible to onion breath when I eat raw onions and even more so when they are caramelized, like on a Philly Cheese Steak. Its like I am an onion breathing dragon and I can't get away from myself. Its like the onion is in my lungs and apparently thats because it is. After those stinky molecules are digested they float around your blood and end up in your lungs, and the onions are actually exhaled from your lungs for 1 to 2 days. Crazy! Does anyone else have this experience? Any onion breath solutions? I just can't stop myself. 

4 comments:

Rocco Galatioto said...

Bellezza,
A natural way to help against garlic breath or bad breath is to chew a few cloves.
Love YD

marcella aka milo said...

greetings from a new follower of yours!

sad to say, but I yet have to find a solution. The fact is, even if you seem not to feel it in your breath, when garlic (as most other strong smelling foods) gets digested it goes all over your system and you actually end up sweating it. I always get a nice long warm shower the morning/night after I ate it, paying extra attention to folds in my body where sweat would gather - that is, armpits, behind the knees, halfway down my arms, behind the ears, etc. Just my two cents :)

(lovely name for a foodblog :)

Jennifer Galatioto said...

Thanks Marcella! Wow, sweating it is a reality, too! But maybe we should just start liking the way it smells!!! I mean we DO love the way it tastes!!! Thanks for commenting!

the table 10 supper club said...

i personally love garlic breath. it's good for you! really garlic in anything is good in my opinion. :)