Thursday, June 25, 2009

SWISS CHARD EGG SANDWICH


    Rocco hasn't been happy with the swiss chard from the CSA. The first week, I picked out a puny bunch, the  next week it wilted quickly so he just gave it to me. I don't know what to do with Swiss Chard, so I treated it like Kale or Spinach and sauteed it in a little olive oil with garlic and onions, and a wee bit of honey, salt and pepper, then let it steam in it own juices. I was going to make a frittata, but then again, I just made a frittata with CSA Spinach, so I decided to make a Swiss Chard Sandwich (similar to a Broccoli Rabe Sandwich) but with a runny fried egg on top. To the toasted Italian bread, I rubbed some fresh garlic, topped it with the swiss chard, topped that with the eggs, a little salt and pepper and there you go. 
    Swiss Chard prepared this way, is really peppery and distinctive in flavor. Almost like something I need to get used to. It brought back weird olfactory memories that I couldn't quite grasp. Like of the woods on a damp day? Or a stream. Weird but still tasty. The way Rocco prepares it, it comes out very differently. I think he boils it, then to the hot Swiss Chard adds fresh garlic and olive oil. Rocco, is that right?

3 comments:

the table 10 supper club said...

yummmm! i am a total whore for an egg samich.

Jessica@FoodMayhem said...

The sight of runny egg always makes my mouth water.

Theresa said...

Gorgeous!