Sunday, June 14, 2009

PASTA CON CAVOLO (KOLHRABI) - LOCAL CUISINE


    I am so excited to be adding a "Local" category to the blog because this week we received our first vegetable share from the Woodside CSA. Our farm is in Andover, NJ and our farmer, who I am excited to meet is named Sergio. What a great name! I was ramping up for an overstock of rhubarb but I was surprised to receive: radishes, lettuce greens, kohlrabi, spinach, collard greens, swiss chard and turnips. I was happily overwhelmed by the variety and possibilities. Rocco came over and prepared our first local dish, a kohlrabi pasta in a light garlic and tomato sauce. It was delicious! 
    Kohlrabi is known in Sicily as Cavolo and it looks like a big light green bulb with leaves like collard greens. 
    Everyone at the CSA was wondering if the leaves were edible. Rocco used the soft leaves in the sauce and the rest was for the Bearded Dragon Irwin's salad so the answer is yes. The sauce was so simple and wonderful. Even Mike liked it even though it was green, so you know it was good. Rocco delivered.
PASTA CON CAVOLO
1 large kohlrabi root sliced plus the leaves chopped
2-3 cloves of garlic chopped
1/2 C. tomatoes (fresh or canned) chopped
dash of peperoncino (hot red chili flakes)
2-3 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper
1/2 lb. fettucini pasta

    In a big pot filled with salted water boil the kohlrabi leaves and slices of kholrabi root until they are soft. Meanwhile in a sauce pan, add a couple of TBSP of olive oil and sautee the garlic, peperoncino and tomatoes until it forms a nice thick consistency. Season with salt and pepper. When the kohlrabi are soft, after about 15-20 minutes, add the pasta directly in the boiling pot of kholrabi with a handful or salt. Cook the pasta until al dente then drain and add everything back to the pot. Pour the tomato sauce over the kholrabi and season with fresh pepper and more extra virgin olive oil.

8 comments:

Rocco Galatioto said...

Carissima.
As we say in Sicilian, "mi liccavi l'ugni." It literally meas I licked my nails. It implies not only licking one's fingers when the flavor is good but to go on and on until one reaches one's nails. It seems gross but it's a common expression to indicate that the food was delicious. This is to preface the fact that I absolutely enjoyed the pasta con cavoli. The plural should be used as, usually, the cavoli are small and a bunch is used. That was a phenomenal cavolo as it was very big but also tender and tasty.
The fact that it was from the co-operative explains it.
Nevertheless, I had a great time cooking it and eating it. It's amazing how simple some great dishes are and how healthy.
Love
YD

Cathy said...

I was just looking at kholrabi at my farmers market yesterday and didn't buy any because I didn't have a clue what to do with it.

Your post is timed perfectly. Next week I'll buy some and try your pasta dish.

Thanks for visiting my blog. Hope you'll come back again soon.

Jessica@FoodMayhem said...

I've never had a Kholrabi pasta dish but it sounds like something I'd really enjoy.

foodcreate said...

Wow! perfect Thrusday~~ dish
Mouthwatering I love the pasta ...

Thanks for sharing such a wonderful dish~~~:)

And you can visit me if I can visit you:)

Welcome~~~
http://foodcreate.com

Drizzt said...

It's "Kohlrabi". Just check your pictures again, there's a hint :)

Jennifer Galatioto said...

Thanks Drizzt! Appreciated and I changed each one!

Ashley said...

Thanks so much for the recipe. In Cape Town and just got Kholrabi from my local CSA and had no idea what to do with it. Did a quick search and your recipe popped up, so it must be good. I'll be trying it out tonight!

Anonymous said...

I have an abundance of Kholrabi growing in my garden, I saw the inmature plants when I was buying my tomatoe plants and decided to try my green thumb. Surprisingly enough, the Kholrabi grows quite easily and now I have a recipe to try it with! Thanks a bunch! ;-)