Monday, June 15, 2009

SAGE STUFFED MUSHROOMS

I cannot resist stuffed mushrooms. These bite sized dream boats are quite simple to make and hard to mess up. Wonderful at room temperature, stuffed mushrooms are great to put out at parties. Growing up, sage wasn't a big part of my cuisine, but it goes so well with mushrooms I had to use it here. If you don't have sage, parsley is just fine on its own.

SAGE STUFFED MUSHROOMS 
1 package of button mushrooms
2-3 cloves on garlic chopped
2-4 fresh sage leaves minced
2 TBSP fresh parsley minced
1/4 C. bread crumbs
1/4 grated romano cheese
extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Start out with cleaning the mushrooms with a damp paper towel. (Don't wash mushrooms under water because they are sponges and will be soggy.) Pull out the mushroom stems and lay the mushrooms tops, bottom up on a baking sheet greased with olive oil. Season the bottom and inside of the mushrooms with some olive oil and salt and pepper. If them stems are tender and not too woody then use them for the stuffing. Chop the stems very fine and sautee with the chopped garlic and sage in butter or olive oil. In a bowl, mix the cooked stems with the bread crumbs, grated cheese, chopped parsley, a little olive oil and salt and pepper. Stuff the mushrooms with this mixture and top each mushroom with a little more olive oil. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes until they are a nice golden brown.

5 comments:

test it comm said...

These stuffed mushrooms sound tasty. I have been wanting to try making stuffed mushrooms.

Chocolate Cardamom Cappuccino said...

Sage and mushrooms a marriage definately made in heaven

Unknown said...

I made these with my daughter. They are simple and they are AMAZING.

Unknown said...

I made these with my daughter. They are simple and they are AMAZING.

Jennifer Galatioto said...

Thanks Duke! I am so happy you made them and enjoyed them. Make me feel like this blog is worthwhile afterall!