Friday, November 6, 2009

PUMPKIN PECAN PIE

Like the turkey the pumpkin really suffers from seasonal depression. It asks: why only love me until halloween then throw me away with the egg and shaving cream covered decorations?Pumpkin is seasonal, but the season doesn't end on October 31st, and pumpkins like other squashes keep for a while. This post is dedicated to sweet pumpkins everywhere. Not only are they delicious, they're orange, the best color ever.
I remember Melissa, my favorite baker, claiming to make a kick ass Sweet Potato Pecan Pie. If thats not the best of both world's as far as pie go then I don't know what is. In honor of the pumpkin, and as a sweet gift to a jack-o-lantern obsessed person, I made a Pumpkin Pecan Pie. This self-proclaimed Halloween grinch had such an awesome Pumpkin Carving Party and made spicy pumpkin chili, pumpkin bread and served pumpkin beer.
Aren't these jack-o-lanterns awesome!
And check out the moto! If this doesn't scream Halloween Spirit then I don't know what does. It went all the way over the Williamsburg Bridge and back in one piece!
I had a lot of scary movies to watch on Halloween so I went with Muirhead Pumpkin Butter from William-Sonoma for the pie filling to save some time. I did take the time to make the crust myself since I am obsessed with making pie crust at the moment. If I keep it up I am going to need a food processer. Cutting the butter into the flour by hand is hard work! I used the pie crust recipe on the jar of pumpkin butter and will surely use this recipe again. I am very proud of how well it turned out. Professional-like. It stayed nice and crisp and didn't get gooey on the bottom.
While the pie was baking I coated pecans with brown sugar, maple syrup and some whisky. About half way through baking I took the pie out and added the pecans on top so the filling would be hard enough to support the pecans. Next time I will also beat an egg into the pecan mixture so they hold together on top of the pie better.
The oven was temperamental and not properly calibrated so the pie was a little loose in the center, but after some refrigeration it hardened up fine. It was a delicious pie that I cannot wait to further tweak. I will definitely be making this pie for Turkey Day.

3 comments:

Rocco Galatioto said...

Yummy, yummy..I'm speechless. I just love pecan pie. With pumpkin it sounds fascinating.

Map of Hawaii said...

holy bejesus! delicious!!!! i know what i'm doing soon :o)

Federica Simoni said...

wow ma รจ favolosa!!