Thursday, November 19, 2009

SWEET ZUCCHINI STEW OVER POLENTA

I think I need new bowls. These sallow yellow ones are getting old. This zucchini stew is so easy and can be served with rice, couscous, pasta, bread or even leftover polenta, which is what I served it over. I started by sauteeing a large shallot with garlic in olive oil and some dried oregano and rosemary. Adding herbs to your dishes is not only healthy but the fragrance brightens up your whole kitchen. The shallots get really sweet if you wait before you add salt and pepper. After a few minutes I added the zucchini chunks. I added a little water, salt pepper and some veggie broth concentrate. A little tomato, fresh canned or tomato paste, at this point is a nice option. I turned it to low and simmered it for about 15 minutes until the zucchini is tender but not mushy and I served it over polenta.
Polenta is the easiest thing to make, too and worth making yourself instead of buying it in the tube. Its just like making oatmeal. You boil water, the ratio is about 1:3, polenta to water, then slowly add the polenta and stir. Add salt, butter or olive oil, and even some grated cheese at the end. At this point you can eat the polenta in a gruel form, which is yummy and nice in some dishes or you can put it in the oven and bake it at 350 for about 30 minutes into a cake, which makes it really easy to reheat on the stovetop. Its great pan fried in a little olive oil.

1 comment:

Rocco Galatioto said...

Great. I may be one of the few Sicilians who loves polenta.