Wednesday, May 20, 2009

ALMOND OLIVE OIL CAKE

I made this olive Oil Almond Cake for the Italian class party. I adapted it from an Almond Olive Oil Citrus Cake that Giada Laurentis made on her show Everyday Italian. Instead of chopped almonds I used raw almond meal, and I try to use blood oranges or grapefruit, when available for the zest. I subsitute soy milk to make it dairy-free and I usually add some orange liquor like triple sec or Gran Marnier to make it more citrus flavored. I didn't have any on hand so I added some almond extract to bring out the almond flavor more. I also don't do the citrus compote Giada's recipe calls for. Instead I just put some powdered sugar on top. It turned out great. It really has become a go-to cake in my family because its easy to make, pretty light and we love olive oil. And if you are feeling like citrus just add the Gran Marnier or Orange Extract or if you want more almond flavor, go with the Almond extract. And if you're feeling totally wild, just add it all! Its a really flexible cake on flavor and it has a light but dense texture because of the almond meal.

ALMOND OLIVE OIL CAKE
1 1/2 C. Flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 C. sugar
3 large eggs
2 tsp orange zest (i like to use blood orange or even grapefruit)
2 tsp lemon zest
1/4 C. soy milk
3/4 C. of Extra Virgin Olive Oil (use the good stuff)
2/3 C. raw almond meal
1 tsp almond extract (optional)
1 TBSP Gran Marnier or any orange flavored liquor
Powdered Sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Use cooking spray to grease and 8-in cake pan. Whisk the flour baking powder and salt in one bowl. In another bowl beat the sugar, eggs, zest almond extract and orange liquor. Then beat in the soy milk then the olive oil. Stir the flour in until combined, then add the almond meal. Bake 35-45 min at 350 degrees. Let stand for a few minutes then flip onto a cake stand. If you want you can cut the crown of the cake to make it lay flat on the cake stand, but you run the risk of having a leaning cake if you don't cut straight. Once cooled, sift powdered sugar on top.

4 comments:

foodstylist said...

I have a go butter cake to recipe from "The Weekend Baker". The use of olive oil sounds delightful. I can't wait to try it.

Jennifer Galatioto said...

Its nice and lighter. I definitely have issues with dairy so whenever I eat this cake, I feel great afterward. Thanks for leaving a comment!

How'd I Get Here? said...

Thanks so much for your adaptation of Giada's recipe; I really wanted to make a cake in which the almonds took a more prominent role---and your recipe does this really, really nicely. It will be our Christmas dessert this year--the perfect end to our very non-traditional Texas barbecue. (It will be a terrific twist on the cornbread so many incorporate into the main course.) Thank you!

How'd I Get Here? said...

Thanks so much for your adaptation of Giada's recipe; I really wanted to make a cake in which the almonds took a more prominent role---and your recipe does this really, really nicely. It will be our Christmas dessert this year--the perfect end to our very non-traditional Texas barbecue. (It will be a terrific twist on the cornbread so many incorporate into the main course.) Thank you!