Saturday, May 30, 2009

FRESH GINGER PINEAPPLE SHRIMP WITH JASMINE RICE

I have been craving shrimp and I found these delicious frozen Blue Shrimp at Trader Joe's. Erik inspired me to this dish after he made a similar one with vegetable protein. I can't mess with that stuff but it sounded like it would go great with shrimp and I am very satisfied with the results. What really brings this dish together is the fresh grated ginger and lemon zest and the fresh basil garnish.

FRESH GINGER PINEAPPLE SHRIMP
10-12 Shrimp, peeled and de-veined
1/4 pineapple cut into chunks (can is okay, too)
dash of hot chili flakes
1/4 onion chopped
1/2 green pepper chopped
2 garlic cloves chopped
2 tsp fresh grated ginger
2 tsp fresh grated lemon zest
fresh basil (or cilantro would be great, too)
fresh scallions
teriyaki or soy sauce
salt and pepper

For shrimp marinade:
curry powder
cayenne pepper
cumin powder
turmeric
paprika
olive oil
salt and pepper

Marinate your shrimp in a little olive oil and the spices (curry, cumin, turmeric, cayenne & paprika - just a dash of each) and some salt and pepper. If you don't have one or a few don't worry about it. Salt and pepper is good enough. There will be plenty of other fresh flavors going on. 

While the shrimp is marinating, sautee a dash of chili flakes, onions, peppers, garlic and fresh ginger in olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. After a few minutes add the pineapple, then the shrimp, then some soy sauce or teriyaki sauce (optional). Add the scallions and the lemon zest. Don't overcook the shrimp. Once they turn pink on each side they are done. Tear some fresh basil over the top and serve with rice.

3 comments:

Rocco Galatioto said...

Carissima,
The pineapple shrimp sounds and looks divine. I must try it as soon as I get some fresh ginger.
Keep it up.
Love
YD

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I love the sound of these flavours together. I don't think I've tried all 3 together but I instinctively know they'd be delicious :)

Jennifer Galatioto said...

The fresh basil at the end really makes it taste unique. I would have used cilantro but now I am glad I didn't have it on hand. A lot of thai dishes use basil, and this is definitely thai-inspired. And the pineapple is really fun, too! Thanks for commenting!