Wednesday, May 27, 2009

DOT'S LEMON BARS FROM TATE'S BAKESHOP COOKBOOK


      Another irresistibly delicious cookbook I took out of the library this week is Tate's Bake Shop Cookbook by Kathleen King. Whenever I work in South Hampton I always stop by Tate's to pick up her famous Chocolate Chip Cookies for Mike and a Lemon Pound Cake for the road, which I can eat in its entirety. Aside from her easy recipes, she includes some really great tips, like if you need to get eggs to room temperature soak them in hot tap water for a few minutes. I also thought it was interesting that all her recipes call for salted butter because its what most people usually have on hand. Tate's chocolate chip cookies have a distinguishable saltiness to them and thats probably why. I wanted to make the Lemon Pound Cake but didn't have sour cream, so I opted for Dot's Lemon Bars. They were really easy to make and came out not too sweet, very lemony and very buttery. I also used grapefruit zest and juice in addition to the lemon, just because I love grapefruit flavor. These would be great to bring to a picnic because they even look pretty stored in tupperware.

4 comments:

The Muse said...

They really are irresistible... had to have at least two in a row! I so have to try to make these!!! Thank you :)

Jennifer Galatioto said...

Thanks! They are so easy!

Jennie said...

I love Tate's cookbook! I've never tried the Lemon Bars but now I MUST! I'll tell you a Sassy Sweet Secret....I use salted butter in all of my baking too! ;)

Jennifer Galatioto said...

Yeah the recipes seem pretty easy and apparently she tests them like a million times to make sure a regular joe can make them. BTW - your cookies are better!