Sunday, May 31, 2009

SPICY MASALA CHAI RICE PUDDING

    Last night I made some shrimp with Jasmine Rice and now that I know how to make rice pudding, I always makes heaps and heaps of extra rice for leftovers. Now I have to remember not to contaminate the rice with the dinner serving spoon. I had an idea to combine the flavors of my favorite beverage, chai tea, with rice pudding, plus some coconut milk and cayenne. I ended up with a not too sweet, beautifully caramel colored rice pudding with a nice chai tea flavor, hints of coconut and a spicy cayenne kick. And its dairy-free.
    I made the chai tea as usual, then combined it with my rice and coconut milk. Since the chai tea is strained of the spices and the loose tea, I added those spices back into the rice pudding, plus some more sugar, lemon zest and some cayenne pepper. Its a play around, sweeten and spice as you go kind of recipe. Add or subtract flavors to your liking, if you like it sweeter add more brown sugar, thicker more coconut milk, or spicier more cayenne.

CHAI TEA (for rice pudding)
For drinking my water to milk ratio would be a little different, see CHAI TEA recipe.
3 C. soy milk (or regular)
1 C. water
1/8 tsp. cardamon or 1-2 pods
1/4 tsp. cloves
2 cinnamon sticks or 1/2 tsp.
Fresh grated ginger - 1/2 inch or 1/2 tsp ginger powder
3 bags of darjeeling tea or about 3 TBSP loose black tea
2 TBSP honey
3 TBSP brown sugar

Boil the water milk and spices, then add the tea, honey and brown sugar. Simmer for about 5 min, then strain.

SPICY MASALA CHAI RICE PUDDING WITH COCONUT MILK
About 2 1/2 C. cooked jasmine rice
About 3/4 C. Coconut Milk
Chai Tea (above)
1/2 C. brown sugar, to desired sweetness
1/4 tsp. cardamom or 1-2 whole cardamom pods
1/4 tsp. cloves
1 cinnamon stick or 1/2 tsp cinnamon
Fresh ginger - 1/2 inch grated (about 1 tsp) or 1/2 tsp of ground ginger
1 tsp fresh lemon zest
1/4 tsp cayenne, to desired heat

Bring rice, chai tea and coconut milk to a boil in a heavy sauce pan. Add the spices and simmer on low heat until the rice pudding is at your desired thickness. Cool in the fridge. Serve topped with toasted shredded coconut.

1 comment:

Rocco Galatioto said...

Dearest One,
I tasted your rice pudding and can only rave.
It reminded me of nonna's "biancu manciari," the Sicilian version of "blanc mange."
We should feature this very basic but delicious dish on the blog.
Love
YD